Thursday, April 25, 2019

A Weight Lifted


It has been a very busy few weeks for me.  Being in charge of RCIA means that I have many things to do leading up to the Easter Vigil and immediately following it.  Now that almost all of those things are finished, I feel like I have accomplished something and a weight has lifted from my shoulders.  When others are counting on you to ensure that events go smoothly, it can be very stressful.  When there is a lot to do, it can become pretty overwhelming.  I have found over the years that I handle situations like this better when I take things step by step and break down huge tasks into smaller ones.  This probably comes from my background as a special education teacher.  Task analysis was a large part of my job working with students with autism.  What parts of a given task are absolutely essential to its completion?  What parts are not necessary?  What parts are nice to do, but not required?  This has been my approach to all of my responsibilities these last few weeks.

And yes, taking a logical approach to stressful situations helps in dealing with them, but often, I feel like I forget the other important approach:  ask God for help.  God is always there, just waiting for us to come to Him during our times of difficulty.  The irony is that these times are often the same times that it is difficult for us to see that path.

Slow down, take a breath, and be still in the presence of God.  He will show you the way forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment