Thursday, April 30, 2020

Imposing Self-Discipline, Even When It’s Hard


A lot of us are working from home now, or we are finding ourselves with an abundance of time on our hands while we are furloughed or looking for work.  It can be difficult to find the motivation to keep at it when we don’t have a supervisor or the need to go further than our home office to do our work.  I will say, I have enjoyed being at home for two reasons.  First, I don’t have to pack my lunch every day, and second, there is no commute, no matter how long or short.  When I’m ready to start work, I just do. 

But it can also be difficult to focus on work when there are so many distractions typical of being at home.  Yes, I don’t have to pack a lunch to take to work with me, but I have to be cognizant of how long I am taking for a lunch “break”.  The TV is right there, ever so inviting.  Yes, there is no commute, but do I spend more time being distracted by my phone while I’m getting “ready to start” in the morning?  (The answer, unfortunately, is yes.)

The same can be said for our current worship situation.  Do we take advantage of the fact that we don’t have to worry about getting to church and we can just watch it on EWTN or online?  Do we not make it into a time of prayer?  Are we extra distracted during Mass because all those things that need doing at home are literally right there in front of us?  Be aware of your distractions.  Have some self-awareness of what your main “triggers” are when it comes to losing focus, and try to reduce those triggers.  I know it’s hard.  I’m not saying I’m perfect when it comes to ignoring my own triggers, but I keep trying.

Set goals.  Make lists.  Change up your environment, if you can.  Make a holy space at home.  Make a point of dressing for church, even if you are “going to Mass” in your living room or on your mobile device.  Act like someone is watching you, because someone is.  And if you stumble, it’s okay.  Try, try again.  Nobody is perfect, but that doesn’t mean we can’t strive to be the best we can be each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment