Thursday, July 25, 2019

Church Hopping


During the summer, our church buildings may not be as full as during the school year.  Many people travel during these months because the kids are out of school, and it’s easier to get away as a family.  Hopefully, you make attending Mass a priority even when traveling.  I was lucky to be able to attend Mass at St. Teresa of Avila parish in Carson City, Nevada during my recent vacation.  It was an early Mass – about 7:45 AM – but the large church was mostly full.  I was particularly impressed when their Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion went up to the altar.  There were at least eight additional ministers!  It was inspiring to see such a thriving community in a place I didn’t expect to find a large Catholic presence.



Some people may “church hop” during the summer, especially in an urban community such as ours, trying out different parishes and hearing different priests give homilies, for a different perspective.  Though I almost always attend Sunday Mass at St. Ambrose, I also do a bit of church hopping during the week.  During the month of July alone, I will have attended Mass at five churches in the Diocese, not counting St. Ambrose.  Mostly, this is because I have been asked to sing for certain special Masses.  And this isn’t something that only happens during the summer.  In fact, during the rest of the year, I can be just as busy, if not busier!  I sometimes feel as if I am a traveling minstrel.  I think it’s fun to go different places and sing in a variety of styles (everything from plainchant to traditional to contemporary music), but what is even more interesting is the people I meet along the way.

Do you do any church hopping during the summer or at other times of the year?  What has your experience been like?

No comments:

Post a Comment