Thursday, June 21, 2012

Life is Like a Bowl of...Soap?

Scientists have proven that powerful and vivid memories can be stirred up by our sense of smell.  That’s because when we first smell a new scent, we link it to the event, the person, or even the  moment in time in which we encounter it.  Because we experience most new smells when we are children, smells often call up childhood memories

I think that’s one reason I get such a kick out of handmade soaps.  The unique fragrances, the mysterious blends, the promise that they will take me to a place of peace and  harmony in my head... 

It’s been a bit frustrating, though, as I just can’t seem to find the right scent that wisks me away to some relaxed, stress free space in my mind. 

Certainly the goat milk soap that made my hair smell like a wet dog was not what I had in mind.   Nor the clear soap that looked beautiful but smelled like old ladies with Kleenex in their pockets when it got wet.  And let’s not forget the lovely, lavender scented bar that produced a lather with the texture of, dare I say it?  Snot.

Which is why I decided it was time to make my own soap.  I am a problem solver by nature; and I was certain I could figure out the perfect combination  of scent, appearance, and lather. 

I began my research online, but it quickly became apparent I would need some hands-on tutoring.   Which lead to a road trip to Logan, where the wonderful folks at Majestic Mountain Sage sell everything you could ever need to produce perfection in soaps.  I begged pathetically until I got invited to spend a delightful afternoon with Tina in their test kitchen, while she impressed and entertained  me with her knowledge of soap making. 

It’s not your grandma’s soap anymore, kids.  Now there are lye calculators, fragrance calculators, scales to measure by the gram, and more recipes than a Betty Crocker Cookbook.

So, a few days later, I spread out  $174 worth of supplies and prepared to make my first batch of soap.  I had every intention of documenting this momentous occasion, but things did not go exactly as planned.  In fact, I was making mistakes so fast I didn’t even have time to make notes, let alone take pictures. 

Yet somehow, despite my mis-measures and getting lost half way through the recipe, my nifty new electronic scale shutting down in the middle of weighing ingredients, and a stick blender that had the suction power of an industrial vacuum cleaner, the soap turned out beautifully. 

Apparently, soap is pretty forgiving.

I don’t think I could ever recreate the sequence, but the results were pretty darned good anyway.

Which made me stop and think for awhile.  Because in the course of my life, when you talk about mistakes, I’ve made some whoppers.  And yet, through the grace of a truly loving and forgiving God, I’d say my life has turned out pretty darned good anyway. 

So here’s the thing.  All we can do is do our best, and trust in the Lord to take it from there.  

I’ll leave you with this Bible verse:  "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."   Romans 15:13
What happy mistakes have you ever made?  What things have you messed up, but discovered that they turned out better than you thought possible?


12 comments:

  1. I think this is up there with your best posts, Carolyn! I've never heard the Bible verse you quoted before, but I'm going to write it in my notebook of things to remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, awesome verse, right? One I need to post all over my house! Thanks, Holly, and blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. God has taken my mistakes and made them into something beautiful. It happens all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, you are so right; it's just that I need to work on remembering it! Thanks so much for stopping by, and taking the time to leave a comment. Blessings to you and all those dear to you, Carolyn

      Delete
  3. I am still cackling out loud at my mental pictures of wet-dog-head-soap and snotty lather. Carolyn, if you ever write a book (a good idea... do I hear some amens..?), PLEASE let me know immediately! I would not be able to put it down. This post also rang a bell in me because I am a real... well, ummm... soap hoarder. I wouldn't tell just anyone this (only the whole entire world who is reading this blog),but I have an entire dresser drawer devoted to lovely soaps. I love your questions at the end - I'll want to think about them! ...tonight as I sink down into bubbles......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, you make me laugh! But if you send me your address, I promise to send you a bar of soap. From one soapaholic to another! Thank you so much for stopping by, and for your most kind words. Blessings to you and yours, Carolyn

      Delete
  4. What a fun post! I came here from Pay It Forward.

    It wasn't exactly a mistake, but I bought a starter plant from Walmart labeled "asparagus bean". This was my final try to grow green beans for the summer garden. The bush beans in previous years had be awful non-performers. Well, I planted the starters along the chain link fence and they took off like gang busters. I researched them and found they are also called "Asian long beans" and "yard long beans". This is my third year planting them from seeds from the previous two years. This is one crop that gives you more payback for the amount of real estate involved than anything else, tastes great - different from green beans, and is loaded with nutrition. The past two years I couldn't fine these beans anywhere so I grew them from my own seeds. The Lord really has a sense of humor because when I wanted to give up He buried me in beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barb, I just wrote a really thoughtful reply, then lost it when I hit the publish button! Oh, well. Thanks for your comments, I'm going to try "asparagus beans," hopefully the seeds will be available in a catalog, or online somewhere? I've never had much luck with beans. I finally discovered the quail were eating my bean seeds. But I have a long stretch of fence that I think will work nicely for your yard long beans, they sound yummy.

      I hopped over to your blog, and found your post of June 30 to be very insightful. I've now signed up to get your updates via email. Can't wait!

      Blessings to you and yours,

      Carolyn

      Delete
  5. So true...thankfully God makes up for our mistakes and shortcomings(that's a frequent prayer of mine with my children!) I laughed at the questionable soap connections...and it's so true about smells/tastes and connections! When my older kids were younger, my husband would always follow up going to confession with oreos and milk...trying to make it a positive experience all around. After all...how can you beat Jesus' grace and oreos all in the same day?:)
    Michelle
    http://normalchaosforamultitaskmom.blogspot.com/2012/06/make-love-my-aim.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michelle, I'm so glad you stopped by and took the time to comment. Your husband sounds like a wise man! I hopped over to your blog, and found that we have special needs kids in common. It's not the tour I signed up for, but there are still some pretty amazing sights and side trips along the way. I'm hoping you have a good support group, it helps to be able to relax with other moms who understand what you are going through. (That's one of my best hints!)

      Blessings to you and yours, Carolyn

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post. Reminds me of how great God we have that forgives and forgives and forgives us from all mistakes we committed. thanks for sharing! DRopping by from" Pay it forward"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joy, I'm so glad you dropped in! I read on your blog that you enjoy crafts! Something we have in common.

      Thanks for your kind words about the post. I only wish I could forgive myself in the same ways God forgives me. Sometimes I have a hard time letting go of my mistakes!

      Blessings, Carolyn

      Delete